Even though it is not yet Thanksgiving, I was thinking ahead toward the holidays and wanted to make some 3-D Christmas Tree earrings using twin beads. I figured if I searched online I might find a pattern or at least an idea for its construction. To my surprise, after an exhaustive search, I didn’t find anything like what I had in mind. What I did find was either 2-D, not made from twin beads, or too large for my taste to be an earring. So I decided to work out a pattern for a small twin-bead 3-D Christmas Tree myself and share it with you all! The secret to stabilizing the tiers of the tree so that they don’t shift off-center is the “hidden” bicone crystal placed between the middle and bottom tiers. The shape of that crystal helps both tiers remain centered around the post, while being only about 5% visible. I was so happy with how the first pair turned out, I immediately experimented with other color combinations. I found the pattern worked with either twin beads (like the gold and green examples) or Superduo beads (like the silver and dark blue examples). The Superduo beads seemed to make a slightly “fatter” tree, as the tiers had a little shallower bowl shape than the twin beads. The last pair I made were the gold trees, where I decided to make a wrapped loop instead of just a simple loop on the last step. That worked really well to hold the pieces more tightly on the post, and in hindsight, I probably would have done all of them like that. I hope you enjoy this free beading pattern!
- Light Green twin beads, transparent rainbow 11/0 seed beads, 4mm green bicone crystals (hidden), 4mm red bicone crystals for the top, and 4mm silver round druk beads for the trunks
- Silver Superduo beads, red and green silver-lined 11/0 seed beads, 4mm green bicone crystals (hidden), 4mm round lime green metallic crystals for the top, and silver round druk beads for the trunks.
- Iris Blue Superduo beads, gold and silver 11/0 seed beads (silver-lined), 4mm green bicone crystals (hidden), 4mm gold bicone crystals for the top, and 4mm gold pearls for the trunks.
- Gold twin beads, silver and aqua 11/0 seed beads (silver-lined), 4mm green bicone crystals (hidden), 4mm teal AB bicone crystals for the top, and 4mm gold pearls for the trunks.
Note:If you are viewing this post from an e-mail, open the post in a browser first (i.e. click on the post title) to follow these steps.
Click on the photos below (or the free beading pattern) to zoom in. If you wish to print the pattern, follow these steps:
- Click on the beading pattern thumbnail to zoom in.
- Click on the icon that looks like a square with an arrow to open the image in its original size.
- Print that image from your browser (or save the image and print it from another program).
Note: In Internet Explorer, you can use “Print Preview” to adjust orientation and scale to fit on a single page (landscape orientation, with whatever % scale allows it to fill one full page). In Safari, orientation and scale can be adjusted on Print dialog via “Show Details” (landscape orientation, with whatever % scale allows it to fill one full page).